Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A little about my work experience

I spent about 28 years in the IT field. In 2002, the majority of the work went off shore to India. Corporate was on it's way to down sizing the work force in hopes of saving all this money! I believe that they have succeeded in bringing down the working class middle America.

At this venture in my life, I really was unable to find more work! I must have sent out 400 resumes all over! The typical response back was that I was "Over Qualified". In other words, I was to old! I did manage to pick up a few contracts here and there, but for the most part, I have been installing satellite dishes for DTV (Mastec). I started out doing this at age 50! Climbing roofs, crawling under houses, wall fishing lines. It is simple, but yet, at times physically demanding work! I have been bitten 3 times by spiders (yes, the dreaded "Brown"), almost lost my thumb cutting a pole, have slid off of a roof and bitten by so called friendly dogs and a whole lot more. I worked my way up to the position of Field Supervisor! I was one of 8 or 9 Field Supervisors! But myself and another Field Supervisor were the only 2 that really did their job! The rest of the supervisors would go home and hang out at their houses, or sneak off to the poker room and play cards. Now, cuts came to DTV when AT&T bought out (or rather merged with) Bell South! AT&T had partnered with Dish Network, and Bell South had Partnered with DTV! So consequently, we lost 40 - 50% of our work orders as of the 1st of April when this occurred! This meant cut backs! So what Mastec did was to cut Supervisors by Seniority rather than job performance! They did not want law suits by "minorities". So, once again, my position was eliminated. I wanted to go back into the field, but the company felt that because of my computer knowledge, I was more valuable in the office as a Router! I later found out that they felt I was to old to be in the field! So, now, I am routing for technicians! I was told, that when there was another opening for a Supervisor, I would be getting my old job back. Well, they are in the process of getting rid of another supervisor (another long story), and yes, you guessed it, I am to valuable as a router! So, this other supervisor who did a voluntary demotion, was moved back! I am seriously considering playing the age card! But I probably won't as I do have a job!

So there you have it, a little more background. This is all going to fit together in my daily rantings. I felt it is important to know a little about me first! I think the next entry is either going to be about my stupid decisions in love or music...

No comments: